Last week, The Asian Pear wrote a blog post called “A Day in the Life” and I thought that it was such a good idea that I’m going to copy her. Without further pre-amble, I now present, February 11th:

8am: Oh Lord. Why am I awake at such an early hour? I have a ton of errands to run today and so I know that I have to get up out of bed right now. I wander over to the kitchen to get some breakfast and make coffee and then I sit and have a leisurely breakfast with my Monsieur or, if he’s busy/hockey is on, while catching up on blogs or the news. I also use this time to check my stocks, bank accounts and to update my spreadsheets.

11am: I’m pretty much ready to go out now but, seeing as I won’t have time to come back home before leaving for work, I have to slap on some make-up. Before working in a hotel, I was a bit “meh” when it came to make-up. I feel just as confident with make-up as without and, to be honest, I couldn’t be bothered to put the effort in. Now, I have to bring my A-game most days and I’m starting to experiment a lot:


11.30am: Unfortunately, I’m no longer living the downtown life and have to take the bus to the train. I can’t even explain how much I hate the bus. It never comes on time, there’s nowhere to sit and (depending where I’m headed) it can literally take longer than if I were to walk. Because it’s chilly today and I have a lot to do, I dash out the door to wait 10m for the bus (which is late). Happily, the bus driver is friendly and we chit-chat while I people-watch out the windows. If the driver isn’t friendly, I’ll usually bury my face in my phone or a book until we get downtown.


12pm: OMG WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME. Why did I come downtown on a weekday at lunchtime? The malls are packed with people swarming here and there, all bustling to get to the food courts in time to not have to wait in line and to get an open table. I decide to do a bit of window shopping at The Bay before heading to H&M to return an impulse buy from last week. Although I’m fully made up and have styled hair, my traveling clothes are worn and hobo-esque (I’ll explain why later) and so the H&M shop girl led me through a battery of questions about the shoes (the woman ahead of me got her items returned without question. Sigh). I run about the mall finishing my errands before deciding that the food court has slowed down enough for me to have lunch. Oh and what a lunch:


I realize that I shouldn’t be saying this as a #PoutineSnob, but OMG does New York Fries have the best poutine ever.

1.30pm: I decide to take a walk to the library because I could stand to burn a few calories. While walking, I pass the weird store that I’m sure is a front for something, the Bow building (something about it irks me but I can’t place my finger on it), Olympic Plaza and the US Embassy. Here are a few photos (I couldn’t find the picture I took of the street grate so I stole one from the internet):




2pm: At the library, I return some DVDs (one of which was an empty case — sorry CPL!) and decide that it’s time for more coffee (which is allowed here!? Crazy). While in line, I hear some people talking about how the library is moving east to a bigger building and I get terribly sad. This is the only library that I know of that is directly on a train line and moving it will make it that much harder to access. Sigh.

3pm: I’m at work! Thankfully today iss quiet and I’m able to take a leisurely lunch. I try to cheer up a friend who’s having a bad day and get to see some regular guests that I haven’t seen in awhile.

Fun Calgary fact! Contrary to most cities, Calgary hotel use goes up during the week and falls on weekends. This is because the majority of hotel patrons are business people who come to town to work and then fly/drive back to their families on the weekend. So, if you want to visit the great city of Calgary, make it a weekend trip — you’ll pay $50-100 less per night.

11pm: Ah, time to go home! I hop aboard the train along with homeless people/construction workers and head home. Remember how I said that I wear hobo-esque clothes to travel? This is why. The last thing that I want is to finish work late and have to take a train home at midnight wearing a skirt and heels while being alone in a train car with 5 drunk men. Here are some tweets from my train ride home in the wee hours of February 11th:

Feb 11

Midnight: I get home and blog/write, read, watch TV. Lately I’ve been caught up in Locked-Up Abroad. How does one think that drug smuggling is a safe way to earn money? How do these people honestly believe that they won’t get caught?

2am: I head to bed where I Reddit for awhile until sleep eventually overwhelms me.

Tagged with: